When planning a trip to Mauritius, choosing the right area to stay can greatly enhance your travel experience. This beautiful island in the Indian Ocean offers a wide array of accommodations in different regions, each with its own unique charm and attractions. In this article, we will explore the top 10 areas to stay in Mauritius, helping you make an informed decision for a memorable vacation.
- Grand Baie: Known as the tourist hub of Mauritius, Grand Baie offers a vibrant atmosphere with its bustling nightlife, shopping centers, and picturesque beaches. This area is ideal for those seeking entertainment, water sports activities, and a lively atmosphere.
- Flic-en-Flac: Located on the west coast of the island, Flic-en-Flac is renowned for its stunning sandy beach, clear turquoise waters, and breathtaking sunsets. This area is perfect for both relaxation and adventure, with plenty of opportunities for snorkeling, diving, and exploring nearby attractions like Casela World of Adventures.
- Trou aux Biches: If you’re looking for a tranquil and romantic getaway, Trou aux Biches is the place to be. This idyllic coastal village boasts pristine beaches, crystal-clear lagoons, and luxurious resorts. It’s a popular spot for honeymooners and couples seeking a peaceful retreat.
- Belle Mare: Situated on the eastern coast, Belle Mare is famous for its long stretches of white sandy beaches and exclusive resorts. This area is ideal for water sports enthusiasts, as it offers excellent conditions for snorkeling, diving, and windsurfing. Plus, you can indulge in the luxurious amenities and pampering spas offered by the high-end resorts.
- Le Morne: Nestled at the foot of Le Morne Brabant, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, this area is a paradise for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Le Morne offers a secluded and pristine beach setting, ideal for kiteboarding, hiking, and immersing yourself in the rich history of the area.
Stay tuned as we continue our exploration of the top 10 areas to stay in Mauritius, providing you with valuable insights to guide your accommodation choice. Whether you’re seeking a bustling nightlife, a tranquil escape, or adventure in nature, Mauritius has something to offer everyone.
Grand Baie is one of the most popular areas to stay in Mauritius, and for good reason. Located on the northern coast of the island, it offers a vibrant and lively atmosphere combined with stunning natural beauty. Here are a few reasons why Grand Baie should be on your list when deciding where to stay in Mauritius:
- Beautiful Beaches: Grand Baie boasts some of the most beautiful beaches in Mauritius. From soft, white sands to crystal-clear turquoise waters, you’ll find the perfect spot to relax and soak up the sun.
- Water Activities: If you’re a water sports enthusiast, Grand Baie won’t disappoint. Whether you want to go snorkeling, diving, or try out some exciting water sports like parasailing or jet skiing, there are plenty of options to choose from.
- Shopping and Dining: Grand Baie is known for its vibrant shopping scene. You’ll find a variety of shops, boutiques, and markets offering everything from local crafts to high-end fashion. After a day of shopping, treat yourself to a delicious meal at one of the many restaurants and cafes in the area.
- Nightlife: Grand Baie comes alive at night, offering a buzzing nightlife scene. There are plenty of bars, clubs, and beachside lounges where you can dance the night away or simply enjoy a refreshing cocktail with a stunning ocean view.
- Convenient Location: Grand Baie’s central location makes it a great base for exploring other parts of Mauritius. From here, you can easily reach other popular attractions such as Pamplemousses Botanical Garden, Port Louis, and the beautiful beaches of Trou aux Biches and Mont Choisy.
In summary, Grand Baie is a fantastic choice for your stay in Mauritius. Its beautiful beaches, abundance of water activities, vibrant shopping and dining scene, exciting nightlife, and convenient location make it a standout area to experience all that Mauritius has to offer.
Flic en Flac
Flic en Flac is a popular coastal village located on the western side of Mauritius. Known for its stunning white sand beaches and crystal-clear turquoise waters, it is a sought-after destination for tourists from all over the world. Here are some key highlights and reasons why Flic en Flac should be on your list of places to stay in Mauritius:
- Beaches: Flic en Flac boasts a picturesque beach that stretches for about 3 kilometers. With its calm waters and palm tree-lined shore, it offers a perfect setting for sunbathing, swimming, and snorkeling. It’s no wonder that the beach here is considered one of the best in Mauritius.
- Water Activities: If you’re an adventure enthusiast, Flic en Flac won’t disappoint you. The area offers a wide range of water sports activities, including snorkeling, jet skiing, parasailing, and diving. Dive into the underwater world and explore the colorful marine life that surrounds the Flic en Flac coastline.
- Sunsets: The sunsets in Flic en Flac are simply breathtaking. Grab a cocktail, find a spot on the beach, and witness the mesmerizing hues of red, orange, and pink paint the sky as the sun sets over the Indian Ocean. It’s a truly magical experience that you won’t want to miss.
- Restaurants and Nightlife: Flic en Flac is home to a vibrant dining and entertainment scene. Along the coastal road, you’ll find a variety of restaurants serving both local Mauritian cuisine and international dishes. After dinner, head to one of the bars or clubs in the area to enjoy some live music and dance the night away.
- Accommodation Options: Flic en Flac offers a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. From luxurious resorts and boutique hotels to cozy guesthouses and self-catering apartments, there’s something for every type of traveler.
|Distance from Port Louis
|About 30 kilometers
Flic en Flac is a wonderful choice for those seeking a beach vacation filled with relaxation, adventure, and vibrant nightlife. With its stunning beach, array of water activities, breathtaking sunsets, and varied dining options, it’s no wonder why Flic en Flac is considered one of the top areas to stay in Mauritius.
So pack your swimsuit and get ready for an unforgettable stay in Flic en Flac!
Trou aux Biches
Trou aux Biches is a stunning coastal area located on the northwest coast of Mauritius. Known for its pristine white sandy beaches and crystal-clear turquoise waters, it is a popular destination for travelers seeking a tranquil and relaxing escape. Here are a few reasons why Trou aux Biches should be on your list of places to stay in Mauritius:
- Breathtaking Beaches: With its idyllic palm-fringed shoreline, Trou aux Biches boasts some of the most beautiful beaches on the island. The powdery soft sand and shallow lagoon make it perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and enjoying water sports.
- Accommodation Choices: This area offers a wide range of accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. From luxury resorts and boutique hotels to self-catering apartments and villas, there is something for everyone. Many of these accommodations provide stunning views of the ocean, ensuring a truly memorable stay.
- Diverse Marine Life: Trou aux Biches is home to a rich marine ecosystem, making it a haven for snorkelers and diving enthusiasts. Explore the underwater world and encounter colorful coral reefs, tropical fish, and even sea turtles. Don’t forget to bring your underwater camera!
- Gastronomic Delights: Indulge in a culinary adventure during your stay in Trou aux Biches. The area is dotted with beachfront restaurants and trendy cafes where you can savor a variety of cuisines, including sumptuous seafood dishes, authentic Mauritian cuisine, and international flavors.
- Island Vibes: Immerse yourself in the laid-back island vibes of Trou aux Biches. Enjoy leisurely walks along the beach, take in breathtaking sunsets, and relish the serenity that this charming coastal area has to offer.
So, if you’re looking for a place to stay in Mauritius that offers breathtaking beaches, diverse marine life, diverse accommodation options, mouthwatering cuisine, and a relaxed island atmosphere, then Trou aux Biches is definitely worth considering.
Bel Ombre is a picturesque coastal village located on the southwest coast of Mauritius. Nestled between lush green hills and turquoise blue waters, this tranquil area offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, luxury resorts, and authentic Mauritian charm.
Why Stay in Bel Ombre?
- Privacy and Serenity: Bel Ombre is known for its peaceful atmosphere, ideal for those seeking a secluded and tranquil holiday. Away from the hustle and bustle, you can relax and unwind in the lap of nature.
- Unspoiled Beaches: The pristine beaches of Bel Ombre are simply breathtaking. With their powdery white sand and crystal-clear waters, they provide a picture-perfect setting for sunbathing, swimming, or simply strolling along the shoreline.
- Luxury Accommodation: Bel Ombre is home to some of the finest luxury resorts in Mauritius. These resorts offer world-class amenities, attentive service, and exquisite dining options, ensuring a truly lavish and indulgent experience for visitors.
- Outdoor Activities: Nature enthusiasts will find plenty to explore in Bel Ombre. From scenic hiking trails to water sports like snorkeling and kayaking, there are endless opportunities to immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the region.
- Heritage Golf Club: Golf enthusiasts can tee off at the award-winning Heritage Golf Club, which offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and the Indian Ocean.
- Chamarel Seven Colored Earth: A short drive away from Bel Ombre, you can visit the fascinating Chamarel Seven Colored Earth, a natural phenomenon where the sand dunes display vibrant hues of red, brown, and purple.
- Gris Gris Beach: For a change of scenery, head to Gris Gris Beach, known for its rugged cliffs and crashing waves. It’s a great spot for photographers and those seeking a more untamed beach experience.
In conclusion, Bel Ombre is a hidden gem in Mauritius, offering a peaceful retreat with stunning beaches, luxurious resorts, and various outdoor activities. Whether you’re looking for relaxation or adventure, this charming village has something to offer every traveler. So, pack your bags and get ready to experience the beauty of Bel Ombre firsthand!
Le Morne is a captivating area in Mauritius that offers a unique blend of natural beauty and cultural heritage. Located on the southwestern tip of the island, this picturesque region has something for everyone, from stunning beaches to historical landmarks. Let’s dive into what makes Le Morne a top choice for your stay in Mauritius.
With its pristine white sands and crystal-clear turquoise waters, Le Morne boasts some of the most beautiful beaches in Mauritius. One of the highlights is Le Morne Beach, which stretches along the coastline and offers breathtaking views of the iconic Le Morne Brabant mountain. Whether you’re looking to sunbathe, swim, or try out various water sports, you won’t be disappointed by the sheer beauty and tranquility of the beaches in Le Morne.
2. Le Morne Brabant
Le Morne Brabant, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a majestic mountain that stands as a symbol of freedom and resistance. Reaching its summit is a popular activity for adventure seekers and hikers, as it offers not only a challenging climb but also panoramic views of the surrounding landscape. If you’re a history enthusiast, you’ll appreciate the cultural significance of this mountain, which once served as a refuge for escaped slaves.
3. Water Activities
If you’re seeking adventure in Le Morne, look no further. The area is a haven for water sports enthusiasts, with activities like kiteboarding, windsurfing, and snorkeling readily available. The steady winds and favorable currents make Le Morne an ideal spot to indulge in these thrilling activities. You can rent equipment and take lessons from experienced instructors to make the most of your water sports experience.
4. Luxurious Accommodations
Le Morne offers a range of luxurious accommodations, including world-class resorts and hotels. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or a family-friendly resort, you’ll find a variety of options that cater to your preferences. These accommodations often boast stunning views, private beach access, and top-notch amenities, ensuring that your stay in Le Morne is nothing short of extraordinary.
5. Dining and Nightlife
When it comes to dining and nightlife, Le Morne has plenty to offer. From beachfront restaurants serving delectable seafood dishes to lively bars where you can unwind with a refreshing cocktail, you’ll find a diverse range of culinary experiences in this area. Whether you’re in the mood for local Mauritian flavors or international cuisine, Le Morne has numerous dining options to satisfy your taste buds.
Le Morne is a paradise within paradise, blending natural wonders and cultural treasures seamlessly. With its breathtaking beaches, historical significance, thrilling water sports, luxurious accommodations, and vibrant dining scene, this area is undoubtedly one of the top places to stay in Mauritius.
Port Louis is the capital city of Mauritius and offers a vibrant mix of history, culture, and modernity. Here are some highlights of why you should consider staying in Port Louis:
- Convenient Location: Located on the northwest coast of the island, Port Louis is centrally located, making it a great base for exploring other parts of Mauritius. It is also home to the main port and the country’s financial and administrative hub.
- Historical Charm: With its colonial-era architecture and historical landmarks, Port Louis offers a glimpse into Mauritius’ past. Don’t miss a visit to the iconic Fort Adelaide, also known as the Citadel, which offers panoramic views of the city and the harbor.
- Shopping Delights: Shopaholics will love the Caudan Waterfront, a popular shopping complex in Port Louis. Here, you’ll find a wide range of boutiques, international brands, local handicrafts, and a vibrant food court offering diverse cuisines.
- Cultural Experiences: Immerse yourself in the local culture by exploring the bustling local markets, like the Central Market, where you can find a variety of fresh produce, spices, and traditional crafts. Be sure to taste some delicious street food while you’re there!
- Museums and Art Galleries: Port Louis is home to several museums and art galleries that showcase the rich history and artistic heritage of Mauritius. The Blue Penny Museum and the Natural History Museum are must-visit attractions for history enthusiasts.
- Entertainment and Nightlife: In the evenings, Port Louis comes alive with a vibrant nightlife scene. Enjoy live music, dance clubs, and restaurants offering a mix of international and local cuisine. For a unique experience, try your luck at the Caudan Casino.
Overall, Port Louis offers a blend of history, culture, and modern amenities, making it a captivating destination to stay during your visit to Mauritius.
|Fort Adelaide, Caudan Waterfront
|Caudan Waterfront, Central Market
|Blue Penny Museum, Natural History Museum
|Live music, dance clubs, Caudan Casino
Black River Gorges National Park
Located in the southwestern part of Mauritius, Black River Gorges National Park is a nature lover’s paradise. Spread over 67 square kilometers, this protected area is home to an incredible variety of flora and fauna.
Here are some highlights about Black River Gorges National Park:
- Biodiversity: The park boasts over 300 species of flowering plants, including rare orchids and endemic plants. It is also home to numerous bird species, such as the Mauritius kestrel and echo parakeet.
- Hiking Trails: With over 60 kilometers of trails, the park offers fantastic opportunities for hiking. You can embark on scenic walks that will take you through lush forests, cascading waterfalls, and breathtaking viewpoints.
- Photography Opportunities: Shutterbugs will be delighted by the park’s stunning landscapes. From panoramic views of the mountain ranges to close-up shots of colorful birds, there’s no shortage of picturesque subjects to capture.
- Nature Conservation: Black River Gorges National Park plays a vital role in protecting Mauritius’s native ecosystems. Its conservation efforts have successfully preserved endangered species and allow visitors to witness the island’s natural beauty firsthand.
- Visitor Centers: The park has two visitor centers, namely Black River Gorges Visitors’ Centre and Pétrin Information Centre. These centers provide valuable information about the park’s history, wildlife, and trails.
If you’re an outdoor enthusiast looking to connect with nature, Black River Gorges National Park is a must-visit destination. The park’s stunning landscapes and diverse wildlife promise an unforgettable experience for all nature lovers.
|67 square kilometers
|Number of Trails
|Over 60 kilometers
|Flowering Plant Species
|Numerous, including Mauritius kestrel and echo parakeet
So pack your hiking boots, camera, and a sense of adventure and get ready to explore the wonders of Black River Gorges National Park in Mauritius!
Chamarel is a charming village located in the southwestern part of Mauritius. This picturesque area offers a unique blend of natural beauty and cultural experiences that make it a must-visit destination for travelers.
Here are a few reasons why Chamarel stands out as one of the top areas to stay in Mauritius:
1. Spectacular Landscapes: Chamarel is famous for its stunning landscapes, particularly the Seven Colored Earths. This natural phenomenon features sand dunes in seven distinct colors, creating a mesmerizing sight that you won’t find anywhere else in the world.
2. Chamarel Waterfalls: Prepare to be awed by the majestic Chamarel Waterfalls, which cascade down from a height of 100 meters. Take a leisurely stroll to the viewing platform and enjoy the breathtaking views while taking in the soothing sound of the cascading water.
3. Black River Gorges National Park: Nature lovers will be delighted to explore the nearby Black River Gorges National Park. This protected area is home to a rich diversity of wildlife, including endemic bird species, macaque monkeys, and rare plants. Embark on hiking trails that lead you through lush forests and reveal stunning vistas.
4. Rhumerie de Chamarel: Indulge in a unique rum tasting experience at the famous Rhumerie de Chamarel. Learn about the traditional rum-making process and sample a variety of locally-produced rums. You can also enjoy a delicious lunch or dinner at the on-site restaurant, which offers sweeping views of the surrounding countryside.
5. Chamarel Village: Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting Chamarel Village. Explore traditional Creole houses, browse through handicraft markets, and interact with friendly locals who are proud to share their heritage with visitors.
6. Serenity and Tranquility: If you’re seeking a peaceful getaway, Chamarel offers a serene atmosphere away from the bustling tourist areas. The tranquil surroundings and laid-back vibe make it an ideal place to unwind and enjoy the beauty of nature.
In summary, Chamarel in Mauritius is an enchanting area that captivates visitors with its natural wonders, cultural experiences, and serene atmosphere. From the Seven Colored Earths to the Chamarel Waterfalls, there is no shortage of breathtaking sights to discover. So, if you’re looking for a unique and memorable stay, consider Chamarel as your base in Mauritius.
Ile aux Cerfs
Located off the east coast of Mauritius, Ile aux Cerfs is a stunning island paradise that offers a range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here’s why this area should be on your list when considering where to stay in Mauritius.
- Beach Bliss: Ile aux Cerfs is renowned for its pristine, white sandy beaches and crystal clear turquoise waters. Spend your days basking in the sun, swimming, snorkeling, or simply relaxing in this idyllic tropical setting.
- Water Sports Heaven: If you’re an adventure seeker, Ile aux Cerfs won’t disappoint. The island offers a plethora of thrilling water sports activities, including parasailing, water skiing, banana boat rides, and more. Get your adrenaline pumping and create unforgettable memories.
- Golfing Delight: Golf enthusiasts will be pleased to know that Ile aux Cerfs is home to an 18-hole championship golf course designed by none other than Bernhard Langer. Tee off amidst breathtaking views of the ocean and lush greenery, making it an unforgettable golfing experience.
- Magical Catamaran Cruises: Embark on a catamaran cruise around Ile aux Cerfs and enjoy the mesmerizing beauty of the surrounding islands. Explore hidden coves, swim in secluded lagoons, and indulge in delectable barbecue lunches served onboard.
- Nature Trails and Wildlife: The island also offers nature trails where you can hike and immerse yourself in the island’s flora and fauna. Keep an eye out for colorful birds, intriguing reptiles, and other fascinating wildlife species along the way.
- Island Shopping: Explore the vibrant local market at Ile aux Cerfs and discover a plethora of unique souvenirs, handicrafts, clothing, and traditional Mauritian products. Experience the local culture and bring back a piece of Mauritius with you.
- Relaxation and Pampering: If relaxation is what you seek, luxurious spas and wellness centers on the island offer a range of rejuvenating treatments and massages. Indulge yourself in tranquil surroundings and let all your worries melt away.
- Culinary Delights: Don’t miss the opportunity to savor delicious Mauritian cuisine at the various restaurants and beachside shacks scattered around Ile aux Cerfs. From fresh seafood dishes to traditional Mauritian curries, your taste buds will be in for a treat.
So, whether you’re looking for adventure, tranquility, nature, or simply a place to unwind, Ile aux Cerfs has something to offer everyone. Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the island and create memories that will last a lifetime.
In this article, we explored the top 10 areas to stay in Mauritius. From luxury resorts to quaint coastal towns, the island offers a diverse range of accommodation options to suit every traveler’s needs. Here’s a recap of our findings:
- Grand Baie: A bustling seaside town known for its vibrant nightlife, shopping, and beautiful beaches.
- Flic en Flac: A popular area with stunning sunsets, water sports activities, and a laid-back atmosphere.
- Trou aux Biches: A picture-perfect destination with crystal-clear waters, coral reefs, and luxurious beachfront resorts.
- Bel Ombre: A paradise for golf enthusiasts, offering serene beaches, championship golf courses, and upscale hotels.
- Le Morne: Known for its iconic mountain, this area boasts breathtaking scenery, water sports, and luxury resorts.
- Port Louis: The capital city of Mauritius, offering a mix of cultural experiences, bustling markets, and historical attractions.
- Grand Gaube: A peaceful coastal village with pristine beaches, fishing villages, and charming boutique hotels.
- Blue Bay: A haven for snorkeling and diving enthusiasts, with a marine park showcasing vibrant coral reefs and abundant marine life.
- Pointe aux Piments: An idyllic spot for nature lovers, featuring tranquil beaches, lush gardens, and stunning sunsets.
- Tamarin: A popular surf spot with a laid-back vibe, surrounded by mountains, pristine beaches, and cozy guesthouses.
In terms of choosing the best area to stay in Mauritius, it ultimately depends on your preferences and what you’re looking to experience during your visit. Whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation, or a blend of both, Mauritius has something for everyone.
Remember to consider factors such as proximity to attractions, access to amenities, and the type of accommodation you’re seeking. With its natural beauty, warm hospitality, and diverse range of areas to explore, Mauritius promises a memorable and enchanting vacation.
Thank you for joining us on this journey through Mauritius, and we hope this article has provided you with valuable insights to help plan your stay. Bon voyage!