Mauritius, a tropical paradise in the Indian Ocean, is a destination that offers an array of exciting activities and attractions for every kind of traveller. From stunning beaches and vibrant coral reefs to lush forests and fascinating cultural sites, this island nation has it all. In this article, we’ll explore the 20 best things to do in Mauritius, making it easier for you to plan your ultimate vacation in 2023.
- Explore the beautiful beaches: Mauritius is renowned for its picturesque beaches with crystal-clear turquoise waters and powdery white sands. Whether you prefer the popular public beaches like Trou aux Biches and Flic en Flac, or more secluded spots along the coastline, there’s no shortage of breathtaking beach destinations to relax and soak up the sun.
- Dive into the underwater world: With its diverse marine life and excellent visibility, Mauritius offers exceptional diving and snorkelling experiences. Explore vibrant coral reefs, encounter colorful fish species, and even have a chance to spot sea turtles, dolphins, and whales. Don’t miss the opportunity to visit popular spots like Blue Bay Marine Park and Coin de Mire.
- Immerse yourself in nature: Beyond its beaches, Mauritius boasts stunning natural landscapes. Lace up your hiking boots and venture into the Black River Gorges National Park, home to rare bird species and breathtaking waterfalls. Or embark on a trek through the Seven Colored Earths in Chamarel, where vibrant sand dunes create a unique natural phenomenon.
These are just a few of the amazing experiences Mauritius has to offer. Stay tuned as we delve deeper into the top 20 must-visit attractions and activities that will make your trip to Mauritius unforgettable in 2023.
1. Explore the Pristine Beaches
Mauritius is renowned for its stunning beaches that offer a paradise-like experience. Here are a few reasons why you should explore the pristine beaches of Mauritius:
- Crystal Clear Waters: The beaches in Mauritius boast crystal clear turquoise waters that are perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and various water activities. The visibility is excellent, allowing you to discover vibrant coral reefs and mesmerizing marine life beneath the surface.
- Powdery White Sand: The beaches are adorned with soft, powdery white sand that feels like silk beneath your toes. Whether you want to relax under a palm tree or take a leisurely stroll along the shoreline, the fine sand provides a delightful experience.
- Breathtaking Scenery: The natural beauty surrounding the beaches is truly breathtaking. From picturesque lagoons and rocky coves to lush greenery and towering palm trees, Mauritius’ coastal landscape offers a feast for the eyes. You can enjoy stunning sunsets, spot exotic birds, or simply soak up the serene ambiance.
- Water Sports Galore: If you’re an adventure enthusiast, Mauritius’ beaches won’t disappoint. You can try exhilarating activities such as parasailing, water skiing, kayaking, and windsurfing. The warm tropical waters and gentle ocean breezes create the perfect playground for thrill-seekers.
- Beachside Dining: Alongside the beaches, you’ll find charming beachfront restaurants and bars where you can indulge in delicious local cuisine. Imagine enjoying a freshly caught seafood platter while feeling the gentle sea breeze on your face – it’s a culinary experience like no other.
Here are some statistics about Mauritius’ beaches:
|160 kilometers (99.4 miles) of coastline
|Averages around 25°C (77°F)
|Belle Mare, Trou aux Biches, Flic en Flac
|Historic fishing village with a picturesque beach
In conclusion, exploring the pristine beaches of Mauritius is an absolute must if you’re visiting this tropical paradise. The crystal clear waters, powdery white sand, breathtaking scenery, exciting water sports, and beachside dining options create an unforgettable experience. So grab your sunscreen, embrace the laid-back island vibes, and get ready to immerse yourself in nature’s stunning masterpiece.
2. Indulge in Water Sports
Mauritius is renowned for its crystal-clear turquoise waters, making it the perfect destination for water sports enthusiasts. With its abundance of stunning beaches and warm climate, there are plenty of thrilling activities to partake in. Here are some of the best water sports you can enjoy in Mauritius:
- Snorkeling: Dive beneath the surface and discover the mesmerizing underwater world of Mauritius. Grab your snorkeling gear and explore the coral reefs teeming with colorful fish, turtles, and other fascinating marine life.
- Scuba Diving: Take your underwater adventures to the next level by going scuba diving. Mauritius offers incredible dive sites with excellent visibility, diverse marine ecosystems, and even the opportunity to explore fascinating shipwrecks.
- Kite Surfing: Feel the adrenaline rush as you harness the power of the wind and glide across the water on a kiteboard. Mauritius is known for its ideal kite surfing conditions, with consistent trade winds and lagoons providing the perfect playground for this exhilarating sport.
- Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUP): Embark on a tranquil paddleboarding experience along the calm lagoons of Mauritius. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced paddler, SUP allows you to enjoy breathtaking views of the coastline and soak up the sunshine.
- Water Skiing and Wakeboarding: Hold on tight as you get pulled along the water’s surface on skis or a wakeboard. Feel the rush of speed and enjoy the thrill of these towed water sports, perfect for both beginners and experienced riders.
- Parasailing: Get a bird’s-eye view of Mauritius as you soar through the sky while tethered to a parachute. Take in the panoramic vistas of the coastline and feel the sense of freedom and tranquility as you float above the crystal-clear waters.
- Deep-Sea Fishing: Set sail on a fishing expedition and try your hand at deep-sea fishing. Mauritius is home to an abundance of game fish, including marlin, tuna, and dorado, offering anglers an exciting challenge and the chance to reel in a big catch.
Whether you’re seeking adventure or simply want to relax by the water, Mauritius offers an array of water sports to suit every taste. Dive into the turquoise waters, feel the thrill of the wind, and create unforgettable memories as you indulge in the exciting aquatic activities this tropical paradise has to offer.
|Explore coral reefs and vibrant marine life.
|Discover underwater wonders and shipwrecks.
|Harness the wind for an exhilarating ride.
|Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUP)
|Enjoy tranquil paddling and scenic views.
|Water Skiing and Wakeboarding
|Experience the thrill of towed water sports.
|Soar above the coastline for breathtaking views.
|Try your luck at reeling in big game fish.
3. Discover the Vibrant Underwater World
Mauritius is not only known for its stunning beaches and lush landscapes but also for its rich and diverse marine life. If you’re a fan of snorkeling or diving, exploring the vibrant underwater world is an absolute must-do when visiting this tropical paradise. Here are a few reasons why you should dive into the crystal-clear waters of Mauritius:
- Stunning Coral Reefs: Mauritius boasts an incredible array of coral reefs that are teeming with life. Snorkeling or diving in these reefs will expose you to a kaleidoscope of colors as you encounter magnificent coral formations and a wide variety of tropical fish.
- Marine Biodiversity: The underwater ecosystem of Mauritius is home to a wealth of marine species, including exotic fish, turtles, rays, and even dolphins. Swim alongside these beautiful creatures and witness their natural behavior up close.
- Shipwreck Exploration: Dive enthusiasts will be fascinated by the wrecks that lie beneath the ocean’s surface. Explore the remains of sunken ships, such as the famous SS Sirius or the Stella Maru, which have become artificial reefs attracting a myriad of marine life.
- Unique Underwater Features: Besides coral reefs and shipwrecks, Mauritius boasts unique underwater formations like caves, canyons, and arches. Delve into these mesmerizing structures and be awed by their natural beauty.
- Visibility and Water Conditions: With excellent visibility and favorable water conditions, Mauritius provides optimal diving and snorkeling experiences. The clear waters offer visibility of up to 30 meters, allowing you to fully appreciate the underwater wonders that await you.
Markdown Table for this section:
|Reasons to Discover the Vibrant Underwater World in Mauritius
|Stunning Coral Reefs
|Unique Underwater Features
|Visibility and Water Conditions
By exploring Mauritius’ vibrant underwater world, you’ll truly get a glimpse into the magical realm beneath the waves. Whether you’re an experienced diver or a first-time snorkeler, don’t miss the opportunity to immerse yourself in the beauty of this aquatic wonderland.
4. Visit the Iconic Seven Colored Earths
When it comes to unique natural wonders in Mauritius, the Seven Colored Earths is a must-visit attraction. Located in the Chamarel village, this geological phenomenon is a sight to behold. Here’s why you should make a stop at this iconic spot:
- Vibrant natural colors: As the name suggests, the Seven Colored Earths showcases a fascinating display of earth tones ranging from reds, browns, yellows, and purples. These striking colors are formed by the weathering of volcanic rocks, creating a visual marvel.
- Breathtaking landscape: The landscape surrounding the Seven Colored Earths is nothing short of stunning. Lush greenery, rolling hills, and the unique patterns of the colored sands create a picturesque backdrop that will leave you in awe.
- Interesting scientific phenomenon: The reason behind the vibrant colors lies in the mineral composition of the volcanic rocks. Due to varying chemical reactions and mineral content, the earth here naturally forms distinct layers, each with its own color. It’s a fascinating natural occurrence worth exploring.
- Educational and fun: Alongside the Seven Colored Earths, you’ll find a visitor center where you can learn more about the geological history and formation of this unique site. It’s a great opportunity to gain knowledge while having a fun and memorable experience.
- Souvenir shopping: Before you leave, don’t forget to check out the local shops nearby. Here, you can find small vials filled with the vibrant sands of the Seven Colored Earths. It’s a fantastic keepsake to remind you of your visit to this enchanting place.
Next time you’re in Mauritius, make sure to include a visit to the Seven Colored Earths on your itinerary. Witnessing the natural beauty and vibrant colors of this incredible geological phenomenon is an experience you won’t want to miss!
|Location: Chamarel village, Mauritius
|Striking colors formed by weathering volcanic rocks
|Picturesque landscape with rolling hills
|Educational visitor center on-site
|Souvenir shops with sand vials available
5. Explore the Majestic Black River Gorges National Park
Mauritius is not just about beautiful beaches and turquoise waters; it also boasts stunning natural landscapes waiting to be explored. One such gem is the majestic Black River Gorges National Park. This incredible park covers an impressive area of over 68 square kilometers, making it one of the largest national parks in Mauritius.
Here’s what makes a visit to the Black River Gorges National Park a must on your Mauritius itinerary:
Prepare to be mesmerized by the park’s breathtaking scenery. From lush forests to cascading waterfalls, the Black River Gorges National Park offers panoramic views that will leave you in awe. Nature lovers will be thrilled to spot an array of indigenous plants, flowers, and bird species as they explore the park’s numerous hiking trails.
Hiking Trails for All Levels
Whether you are an experienced hiker or a beginner, the park’s hiking trails cater to all levels of fitness and expertise. Choose from a variety of trails, each offering a unique experience. From the popular Black River Peak trail that takes you to the highest point on the island, offering sweeping vistas, to shorter walks that lead to stunning viewpoints, there’s something for everyone.
The Black River Gorges National Park is home to an incredible variety of flora and fauna. As you trek through the park, keep an eye out for the rare species of plants and animals that call this region their home. This protected area plays a crucial role in conserving Mauritius’ endemic species, such as the Mauritian flying fox and the endangered Echo parakeet.
Picnic Spots and Waterfalls
Need a break from exploring? The park features several picturesque picnic spots where you can relax and refuel amidst nature’s tranquility. Enjoy your packed lunch while surrounded by scenic beauty. Don’t forget to visit the Chamarel Waterfall, one of the most popular attractions within the park. The cascading water and lush greenery create a picture-perfect setting that you won’t want to miss.
Black River Gorges National Park is more than just a tourist destination; it’s a testament to Mauritius’ commitment to preserving its natural heritage. The park plays a vital role in the conservation of Mauritius’ unique ecosystem. By visiting the park, you are contributing to the ongoing efforts to protect and sustain this precious natural treasure for future generations.
So, if you’re looking for an unforgettable experience in Mauritius, make sure to explore the majestic Black River Gorges National Park. With its awe-inspiring landscapes, diverse flora and fauna, and a range of hiking trails, it promises an adventure you’ll cherish forever.
|Over 68 square kilometers
|Endemic Species Protected
|Mauritian Flying Fox, Echo Parakeet, and more
|Crucial role in preserving Mauritius’ ecosystem
6. Immerse Yourself in the Cultural Melting Pot of Port Louis
When visiting Mauritius, a trip to Port Louis is a must. This vibrant capital city is a true melting pot of cultures, offering a rich and diverse experience for visitors. Here are some of the best things to do in Port Louis:
Wander through the Colorful Central Market
One of the highlights of Port Louis is the Central Market, brimming with lively activity and vibrant colors. Here, you can immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere and explore the variety of stalls selling local produce, spices, handicrafts, and souvenirs. Don’t forget to try some delicious street food and mingle with the locals for an authentic experience.
Discover the History at the Blue Penny Museum
For history enthusiasts, the Blue Penny Museum is a captivating destination. This unique museum showcases the history and cultural heritage of Mauritius, with a particular focus on the famous Blue Penny and Red Penny stamps. Marvel at the exhibits, learn about the island’s past, and gain a deeper appreciation for its diverse heritage.
Explore the Quaint Streets of Chinatown
Step into the vibrant neighborhood of Chinatown and uncover a world of Chinese culture and traditions. Stroll along the narrow streets, adorned with colorful shopfronts and traditional architecture. Indulge in mouthwatering Chinese delicacies at the local eateries and browse the shops for traditional Chinese products and souvenirs.
Visit the Grand Mosque and Jummah Mosque
Venture into the heart of Port Louis to witness the stunning religious landmarks of the Grand Mosque and Jummah Mosque. Admire the intricate architecture, peaceful ambiance, and the devotion of the worshippers. These mosques represent the island’s cultural diversity and offer a glimpse into the local religious practices.
Take a Stroll along the Port Louis Waterfront
Unwind and enjoy picturesque views of the ocean by taking a leisurely walk along the Port Louis Waterfront. This bustling promenade is lined with palm trees, stylish cafes, and trendy bars. Relax in one of the waterfront restaurants, soak in the sunset vibes, and watch the ships sail by.
Attend Festivals and Events
To truly immerse yourself in the cultural fabric of Port Louis, try to coincide your visit with one of the city’s vibrant festivals or events. From the colorful Thaipusam festival to street food festivals and live music performances, there’s always something happening in Port Louis. Check the local event calendar to plan your visit accordingly.
Port Louis is a treasure trove of cultural experiences and a perfect reflection of Mauritius’ diverse heritage. So, make sure to add this lively city to your itinerary and embrace the cultural wonders it has to offer!
|Mauritian Rupee (MUR)
|English, French, Mauritian Creole
7. Take a Scenic Drive along the Coastal Road
If you’re looking for a breathtaking experience in Mauritius, taking a scenic drive along the Coastal Road is a must-do activity. This road stretches along the beautiful coastline of the island, offering stunning views of the turquoise waters and picturesque landscapes.
Here are a few things you can expect while driving along the Coastal Road:
- Picturesque Beaches: As you drive, you’ll come across numerous stunning beaches. Stop by at Trou aux Biches, Belle Mare, or Le Morne for some relaxing moments by the crystal-clear waters.
- Charming Coastal Towns: Explore the charming coastal towns along the route. Flic-en-Flac, Grand Baie, and Souillac are just a few examples where you can immerse yourself in the local culture and indulge in delicious seafood.
- Panoramic Views: The Coastal Road offers stunning panoramic views of the ocean on one side and lush green forests on the other. Don’t forget to bring your camera to capture the breathtaking landscapes.
- Opportunities for Adventure: Along the way, you’ll find various adventure activities to spice up your journey. From boat trips and snorkeling to parasailing and kite surfing, there’s something for everyone.
- Visit Iconic Landmarks: Take a break from driving and visit some iconic landmarks. Stop at the Black River Gorges National Park to explore the hiking trails and witness rare flora and fauna. Or head to the Seven Colored Earths in Chamarel, a unique geological formation.
Remember to drive at a leisurely pace, allowing yourself to soak in the beauty of the surroundings. Be sure to respect traffic rules and prioritize safety throughout your drive.
Table 1: Some Quick Facts About the Coastal Road
So, hop into your car, roll down the windows, and embark on an unforgettable journey along the Coastal Road of Mauritius.
8. Embark on a Fascinating Tea Plantation Tour
Mauritius is not only known for its beautiful beaches and stunning landscapes, but also for its tea plantations that produce some of the finest teas in the world. Embarking on a tea plantation tour is a must-do experience when visiting this tropical paradise. Here’s what you can expect on this fascinating journey:
- Discover the Art of Tea Cultivation: During the tour, you’ll learn about the art of tea cultivation and witness the meticulous process involved in growing tea leaves. From learning about the perfect climate conditions to understanding the various tea varieties, this tour offers a deeper insight into the world of tea production.
- Explore Lush Greenery: As you venture through the tea plantations, you’ll be surrounded by lush greenery that stretches as far as the eye can see. The sight of neatly organized tea bushes, standing tall and proud, is a sight to behold. It’s a great opportunity to take some amazing photographs and enjoy the tranquility of nature.
- Engage in Tea Tasting: No tea plantation tour is complete without indulging in a tea tasting session. Savor the different flavors and aromas of freshly brewed tea while experts guide you through the tasting process. You might discover new tastes and preferences that you never knew existed before.
- Learn Tea-Brewing Techniques: Aside from tea tasting, the tour might include a demonstration on how to brew the perfect cup of tea. Get hands-on experience as you learn about the correct steeping time, water temperature, and tea-to-water ratio. Impress your friends back home with your newfound tea brewing skills!
- Purchase Exclusive Tea: Be sure to visit the tea factory or shop after the tour, where you can purchase some of the finest teas to bring home as souvenirs. From black tea to green tea, herbal infusions to flavored blends, there’s a wide variety to choose from. Treat yourself to the flavors of Mauritius even after your trip.
Embarking on a tea plantation tour in Mauritius is an enriching experience that allows you to appreciate the intricate process behind the teas we enjoy. With its scenic views and delightful tastes, it’s a journey that tea lovers and nature enthusiasts shouldn’t miss.
|Black, Green, Herbal, Flavored Blends
|Warm and Humid
|Professional guidance and different tea varieties
|Offers a wide variety of teas for purchase
|Around 2-3 hours
So, don’t forget to add the tea plantation tour to your itinerary and immerse yourself in the world of tea on your visit to Mauritius.
9. Visit the Historic Aapravasi Ghat
Located in the capital city of Port Louis, the historic Aapravasi Ghat is a must-visit attraction in Mauritius. This UNESCO World Heritage Site holds immense cultural significance and offers a glimpse into the island’s fascinating history.
- Unique Cultural Experience: Aapravasi Ghat was once the landing point for indentured laborers brought from India, Africa, and other countries during the 19th and early 20th centuries. It served as a vital immigration depot where these laborers were processed before being sent to work on sugar plantations. Today, it stands as a testament to the diverse cultural heritage of Mauritius.
- Architectural Marvel: The site features well-preserved buildings with distinct Indian and colonial architectural influences. Explore the gatehouse, hospital, barracks, and other structures that have stood the test of time. The blend of architectural styles presents a captivating visual representation of the multicultural history.
- Interactive Exhibits: Inside the Aapravasi Ghat, you’ll find an informative museum that brings the stories of the indentured laborers to life. Engage with interactive exhibits, displays, and multimedia presentations to gain a deeper understanding of this significant period in Mauritius’ past.
- Peaceful Surroundings: The site is surrounded by lush greenery and tranquility. Take a leisurely stroll around the premises, admiring the well-maintained gardens and the peaceful atmosphere. It’s a great place to unwind and reflect on the historical importance of Aapravasi Ghat.
Make sure to include Aapravasi Ghat on your itinerary when visiting Mauritius. This landmark provides a fascinating look into the country’s past and offers a unique cultural experience that should not be missed.
|UNESCO World Heritage Listed
10. Unwind and Pamper Yourself with a Spa Day
Mauritius is not just about beaches and stunning landscapes; it is also a haven for relaxation and rejuvenation. Indulge yourself with a blissful spa day and experience ultimate luxury and tranquility. Here are a few reasons why a spa day should be on your must-do list in Mauritius:
- Escape from the hustle and bustle: Take a break from the daily grind and treat yourself to a serene spa retreat. Leave behind your worries and immerse in a world of calmness and serenity.
- Immerse in holistic wellness: Many spa resorts in Mauritius offer a wide range of treatments inspired by both Eastern and Western approaches to wellness. From ancient Ayurvedic therapies to contemporary spa treatments, you’ll find a multitude of options to suit your preferences.
- Revitalize your mind and body: Let skilled therapists soothe your senses and melt away your stress with expert techniques that focus on relaxation and rejuvenation. Feel your troubles fade away and emerge with a renewed sense of energy.
- Discover unique spa experiences: Beyond traditional massages, Mauritius offers intriguing spa experiences. From indulging in a relaxing soak in a flower petal-filled tub to enjoying a therapeutic massage using indigenous botanical blends, you’ll find plenty of memorable moments to cherish.
- Savor breathtaking settings: Imagine enjoying a soothing massage while nestled in a tranquil rainforest or being pampered with a sea-view manicure. Many spa retreats in Mauritius are set in stunning locations, allowing you to immerse yourself in the island’s natural beauty.
|Reasons to Try a Spa Day in Mauritius
|Escape from the hustle and bustle
|Immerse in holistic wellness
|Revitalize your mind and body
|Discover unique spa experiences
|Savor breathtaking settings
Unleash your senses and treat yourself to a day of pampering in Mauritius. Whether you’re seeking relaxation, rejuvenation, or a combination of both, the island’s spa offerings are sure to leave you feeling blissfully refreshed.
11. Discover the Charm of Chamarel Village
Chamarel Village is a picturesque destination located in the southwest part of Mauritius. Known for its natural beauty and unique attractions, this charming village offers visitors a delightful experience. Here are a few reasons why you should consider exploring Chamarel Village on your trip to Mauritius:
Vibrant Colored Earths
One of the highlights of Chamarel Village is its vibrant colored earths. These natural sand dunes showcase a mesmerizing display of colors, ranging from red and brown to purple and blue. Visitors can observe this phenomenon up close and even take memorable pictures amidst this enchanting landscape.
Located nearby, the Chamarel Waterfalls offer a breathtaking sight that you shouldn’t miss. As the water cascades down from a height of around 100 meters, it creates a majestic and awe-inspiring atmosphere. Take a leisurely stroll in the surrounding lush vegetation and let the sound of the crashing water soothe your senses.
Seven Colored Earth Geopark
The Seven Colored Earth Geopark is a unique geological attraction that adds to the allure of Chamarel Village. This geopark features sand dunes composed of seven distinct colors, formed naturally due to the volcanic activity in the region. Take a guided tour to learn about the geological history and witness this natural wonder up close.
Curious Corner of Chamarel
For those seeking a bit of mystery and fun, the Curious Corner of Chamarel is a must-visit. This quirky attraction offers a variety of mind-bending optical illusions and interactive exhibits that will keep you entertained and engaged. Get ready for a unique sensory experience that will leave you questioning reality.
Rhumerie de Chamarel
End your visit to Chamarel Village with a tour and tasting at the Rhumerie de Chamarel. This popular rum distillery offers an insight into the rum-making process and allows you to sample their exquisite selection of locally produced rums. Raise a glass and cheers to an unforgettable day in Chamarel Village.
So, make sure to include Chamarel Village in your itinerary when exploring Mauritius. Its vibrant colored earths, stunning waterfalls, unique geological attraction, intriguing illusions, and flavorful rum will make your visit truly memorable.
|Vibrant Colored Earths
|Natural sand dunes displaying enchanting colors.
|Majestic waterfalls cascading down from great heights.
|Seven Colored Earth Geopark
|Unique geological attraction with sand dunes of 7 colors.
|Curious Corner of Chamarel
|Quirky attraction with mind-bending illusions and exhibits.
|Rhumerie de Chamarel
|Rum distillery offering tours and tastings of local rums.
12. Experience the Thrill of a Wildlife Safari
Embark on a thrilling adventure and explore the wildlife wonders of Mauritius. With its diverse ecosystems, this island paradise offers an array of opportunities to encounter exotic species up close. Here are some highlights of a wildlife safari in Mauritius:
Encounter Majestic Giants
Marvel at the sight of giant tortoises as you wander through nature reserves and sanctuaries. These gentle creatures can live for over a century, and observing their slow and deliberate movements is truly a humbling experience.
Discover Vibrant Marine Life
Dive into the crystal-clear waters surrounding Mauritius, and get ready to meet a dazzling array of marine life. Swim alongside colorful coral reefs, spot tropical fish, and if you’re lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of dolphins or humpback whales on their migratory routes.
Mauritius is home to a wide variety of bird species, making it a bird-watcher’s paradise. Grab your binoculars and head to the national parks or nature reserves, where you can spot colorful endemic birds like the Mauritian kestrel, pink pigeon, and the rare echo parakeet.
Unforgettable Encounters in the Wild
Venture into the lush forests and encounter some of Mauritius’ unique creatures. From the rare Mauritian flying foxes to the endemic Mauritian macaques, witnessing these incredible animals in their natural habitat is an experience like no other.
Conservation and Education
Many wildlife organizations and initiatives in Mauritius contribute to the preservation and conservation of the island’s flora and fauna. By participating in a wildlife safari, you not only get to witness the beauty of nature but also support ongoing conservation efforts.
So, get ready for an extraordinary adventure filled with unforgettable encounters and breathtaking wildlife moments. A wildlife safari in Mauritius will leave you in awe of the island’s rich biodiversity and make your trip truly extraordinary.
|Number of giant tortoise species
|Mauritian Bird species
|Endemic bird species in Mauritius
|Estimated number of Mauritian flyi
13. Sample the Delicious Mauritian Cuisine
Mauritius is not only known for its stunning beaches and tropical landscapes, but also for its rich and diverse culinary heritage. Sampling the delicious Mauritian cuisine is an absolute must when visiting this enchanting island. Here are a few things you shouldn’t miss out on:
Local Flavors Bursting with Authenticity
Mauritian cuisine is a fusion of flavors from various cultural influences, including Indian, Chinese, Creole, and European. This unique blend of culinary traditions has resulted in dishes that are bursting with authentic flavors. From spicy curries and fragrant biryanis to mouthwatering seafood and delectable street food, there is something to please every palate.
Must-Try Traditional Dishes
When it comes to traditional Mauritian dishes, there are a few that you simply can’t miss. Here are some must-try options:
- Dholl Puri: This is a popular street food dish consisting of flatbread filled with yellow split peas and served with various chutneys. It’s a tasty and filling snack that is loved by locals and visitors alike.
- Rougaille: A spicy tomato-based sauce traditionally served with fish, chicken, or sausages. It’s the perfect example of the flavorful combinations found in Mauritian cuisine.
- Gateau Piment: These are spicy lentil fritters, often sold by street vendors. They are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and packed with delicious flavors.
- Bol Renversé: A hearty dish consisting of meat, rice, vegetables, and a fried egg, all inverted onto a plate. It’s a satisfying meal that showcases the island’s diverse culinary influences.
Dining Experiences to Treasure
In addition to trying the traditional dishes, make sure to indulge in the unique dining experiences that Mauritius has to offer. From beachside seafood shacks to elegant fine dining restaurants, there is something for every occasion and preference.
Embrace the Street Food Culture
One cannot talk about Mauritian cuisine without mentioning the vibrant street food culture. Exploring the local markets and food stalls will expose you to an array of tantalizing aromas and flavors. Don’t be afraid to try street food favorites like samosas, faratas, and gateaux coco (coconut cakes). These affordable and quick bites will give you a true taste of Mauritian street food.
Food Festivals and Events
If you happen to visit during one of the food festivals or events, be sure to take part in the gastronomic celebrations. These events showcase the best of Mauritian cuisine, giving visitors the chance to indulge in traditional dishes, fresh produce, and local delicacies.
Mauritian cuisine is a true reflection of the island’s diverse heritage and culinary prowess. Exploring and savoring the local flavors will undoubtedly be a highlight of your trip to Mauritius.
14. Explore the Serene Botanical Gardens of Pamplemousses
Located in the picturesque village of Pamplemousses, the Botanical Gardens are a must-visit attraction in Mauritius. With their tranquil atmosphere and stunning natural beauty, a visit here promises a delightful experience for nature lovers and avid photographers alike.
Here are a few highlights of the Botanical Gardens:
- Rich Biodiversity: Spread over a sprawling area of 37 hectares, the gardens are home to an impressive collection of indigenous and exotic plant species. From giant water lilies to rare palm trees, you’ll find a diverse range of flora that will mesmerize you with their vibrant colors and unique shapes.
- Historical Significance: The Botanical Gardens of Pamplemousses has a fascinating history that dates back to the 18th century. Once a private garden belonging to the French governor, it was later transformed into a public garden by the British. Today, it stands as a proud testament to the island’s colonial past and serves as a symbol of conservation.
- Star Attractions: One of the main highlights of the gardens is the famous Talipot Palm, which blooms only once every 30 to 100 years and then dies. Witnessing this rare phenomenon is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The gardens also boast an enchanting collection of spice trees, medicinal plants, and an ornamental pond filled with beautiful water lilies.
- Stroll Through Nature: Take a leisurely stroll along the winding pathways of the gardens, and allow yourself to be enveloped by the serene ambiance. Listen to the soothing sounds of nature, breathe in the refreshing scent of flowers, and discover hidden corners that are perfect for quiet contemplation. Don’t forget to bring your camera along to capture the breathtaking landscapes.
Visiting the Serene Botanical Gardens of Pamplemousses is an ideal way to connect with nature and escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Whether you’re seeking tranquility, beauty, or simply a memorable experience, this is a place that will leave you enchanted.
So, go ahead and immerse yourself in the captivating world of flora at the Botanical Gardens. It’s an experience you won’t want to miss during your visit to Mauritius!
|Famous Talipot Palm
|Blooms once every 30-100 years
|Number of Plant Species
15. Take a Catamaran Cruise to the Nearby Islands
If you’re visiting Mauritius in 2023, one of the best experiences you can have is taking a catamaran cruise to the nearby islands. Here’s why you shouldn’t miss it:
- Scenic Views: Set sail on a luxurious catamaran and soak in the breathtaking views of Mauritius’ turquoise waters and stunning coastline. It’s a true feast for the eyes!
- Island Hopping: The catamaran cruise allows you to explore nearby islands, each with its own unique charm. From the pristine beaches of Ile aux Cerfs to the picturesque Coin de Mire, you’ll get to discover hidden gems along the way.
- Snorkeling and Swimming: Jump into the crystal-clear waters and discover the vibrant marine life that Mauritius is famous for. Grab your snorkeling gear and get ready to swim among colorful coral reefs and tropical fish.
- Delicious Food and Refreshments: Most catamaran cruises include a sumptuous barbecue lunch and refreshing drinks on board. Indulge in local delicacies while basking in the sun on the deck – the perfect way to satisfy your appetite.
- Relaxation and Sunbathing: Find your own little slice of paradise on the catamaran’s spacious deck. Bask in the warm tropical sunshine, feel the gentle sea breeze, and let all your worries fade away. It’s pure relaxation at its best!
So, don’t miss the chance to embark on a catamaran cruise during your visit to Mauritius. It’s an unforgettable experience that combines adventure, relaxation, and natural beauty in one incredible package.
16. Immerse Yourself in History at Fort Adelaide
Located in the capital city of Port Louis, Fort Adelaide is a historical landmark that offers a glimpse into Mauritius’ colonial past. Here are a few reasons why a visit to this fort should be on your itinerary:
- Panoramic Views: Climb up to the summit of Fort Adelaide and be rewarded with breathtaking panoramic views of Port Louis and its surrounding areas. It’s a great spot for photography enthusiasts or anyone looking to enjoy a beautiful skyline.
- Architectural Marvel: Explore the architectural brilliance of Fort Adelaide, also known as La Citadelle. This imposing fortress was built by the British in the 19th century and showcases a unique blend of British and French design elements.
- Historical Significance: Delve into the history of Mauritius as you wander through the fort. Originally constructed for defense purposes, Fort Adelaide now serves as a reminder of the island’s colonial past and the struggles that shaped its identity.
- Museum & Cultural Center: Discover more about Mauritius’ history through the museum located within the fort’s premises. The museum exhibits artifacts, documents, and exhibits that provide insights into the island’s heritage and culture.
Here’s a markdown table highlighting some key information:
|Port Louis, Mauritius
|9:00 AM to 4:00 PM (Tuesday to Sunday)
Immerse yourself in the rich history of Mauritius by visiting Fort Adelaide. From its stunning views to its architectural beauty and educational exhibits, this historical site offers a captivating experience for visitors. Don’t miss the opportunity to explore this captivating piece of Mauritius’ past.
17. Enjoy the Picturesque Tamarind Waterfalls
Reconnecting with nature is an essential part of any visit to Mauritius, and one of the must-see natural wonders on the island is the Tamarind Waterfalls. Located in the southwestern region of Mauritius, these picturesque falls offer a serene and peaceful escape from the bustling city life.
Here’s why you should include a visit to the Tamarind Waterfalls in your itinerary:
- Breathtaking Views: The Tamarind Waterfalls boast stunning panoramic views that are sure to leave you in awe. As you stand at the viewpoint, you’ll be treated to a mesmerizing sight of water cascading down the rocky cliffs amidst lush green vegetation.
- Refreshing Dip: If you fancy a refreshing dip, the Tamarind Waterfalls won’t disappoint. Take a break from the tropical heat and plunge into the cool, crystal-clear waters at the base of the falls. It’s a rejuvenating experience that will leave you feeling refreshed and energized.
- Nature Trails: Surrounding the Tamarind Waterfalls are well-maintained nature trails, perfect for leisurely walks or adventurous hikes. Explore the verdant flora and fauna of the area as you stroll along the paths, and keep an eye out for vibrant tropical birds and other wildlife.
- Photography Paradise: Calling all photography enthusiasts! The Tamarind Waterfalls provide a stunning backdrop for capturing nature’s beauty. From panoramic shots to close-ups of the cascading waters, you’ll find endless opportunities to capture Instagram-worthy moments.
- Picnic Spot: The Tamarind Waterfalls also make for a great picnic spot. Pack a delicious spread of local delicacies and find a cozy spot amidst nature to enjoy a leisurely lunch. It’s the perfect way to immerse yourself in the peaceful ambiance while relishing flavorsome Mauritian cuisine.
Traveler’s Tip: Don’t forget to carry sunscreen, insect repellent, and comfortable footwear for your visit to the Tamarind Waterfalls. Also, be mindful of your surroundings, follow any safety guidelines provided, and respect the natural environment.
That wraps up our exploration of the Tamarind Waterfalls. Keep reading to discover more exciting things to do on your unforgettable trip to Mauritius!
|Approximately 295 feet (90 meters)
|8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (daily)
Now let’s move on to the next exciting activity on our list!
18. Discover the Alluring Caves of Mauritius
Mauritius, known for its stunning beaches and turquoise waters, also offers a hidden gem – its fascinating caves. Exploring these underground wonders is an adventure that shouldn’t be missed during your visit to this tropical paradise.
Majestic Caves Waiting to be Explored
Mauritius boasts a number of captivating caves, each with its own unique charm. Here are a few caves that you should definitely consider adding to your itinerary:
- The Ganga Talao Caves: Nestled near the sacred Crater Lake of Ganga Talao, these limestone caves are steeped in spiritual significance. Explore the dark passageways, marvel at the stalactites and stalagmites, and soak in the tranquil atmosphere.
- The Moka Caves: Located in the Moka Range, these mysterious caves are shrouded in legends and tales. Wander through their winding tunnels, adorned with intriguing rock formations, and let your imagination run wild.
- The Rault Biscuit Factory Caves: Yes, you read that right! This unique attraction combines a biscuit factory with an underground cave system. Take a guided tour to witness the biscuit-making process and then venture into the depths of the caves where you’ll be greeted by stunning stalactites and stalagmites.
What to Expect Inside
Once you step into one of these enchanting caves, you’ll be transported to a magical world. Here’s a sneak peek of what awaits you:
- Mesmerizing Rock Formations: The caves are adorned with extraordinary geological formations, created over thousands of years. From delicate stalactites hanging from the ceiling to stalagmites rising from the ground, you’ll be awestruck by nature’s artwork.
- Dramatic Lighting: The caves are often illuminated, casting an ethereal glow on the natural formations. The strategically placed lights create a mesmerizing ambiance that enhances the mystique of your cave exploration experience.
- Hidden Treasures: As you delve deeper into the caves, you might stumble upon hidden gems like underground lakes, natural pools, or even secret chambers. Keep your eyes peeled for these unexpected surprises that add an extra element of excitement to your adventure.
Don’t forget to wear comfortable shoes and clothing as some caves may involve climbing or crawling through narrow passages. And remember, these remarkable caves are fragile environments, so be sure to follow any guidelines provided by tour operators to protect these natural wonders for future generations to enjoy.
So, whether you’re an avid spelunker or simply seeking a unique experience, exploring the alluring caves of Mauritius is an unforgettable journey into the heart of the island’s geological wonders.
|The Ganga Talao Caves
|Near Crater Lake of Ganga Talao
|The Moka Caves
|The Rault Biscuit Factory Caves
|Nearby biscuit factory
Note: The table above provides a summary of the caves mentioned in this section and their locations.
19. Shop for Unique Souvenirs at the Central Market
The Central Market in Mauritius is a must-visit destination for those looking to bring back unique souvenirs from their trip. Here, you can find a wide variety of items that showcase the rich culture and heritage of the island. From handicrafts and spices to clothing and jewelry, there’s something for everyone at the Central Market.
Why Visit the Central Market
- Authentic local experience: Visiting the Central Market allows you to immerse yourself in the vibrant local atmosphere and interact with friendly vendors who are proud to share their culture and traditions.
- Unique souvenirs: Whether you’re searching for traditional handmade crafts, intricate textiles, or flavorful spices, the Central Market offers a treasure trove of unique souvenirs that you won’t find elsewhere.
- Affordable prices: The market is known for its reasonable prices, making it a great place to shop for souvenirs without breaking the bank. Bargaining is also common, so don’t forget to negotiate for the best deal!
- Wide variety of goods: The Central Market is a bustling hub with different sections dedicated to various items. From fresh produce and herbs to local snacks and accessories, you’ll have plenty of options to choose from.
What to Expect
- Colorful displays: As you wander through the market, you’ll be greeted by an explosion of colors from the vibrant stalls and lively displays of goods. It truly is a feast for the eyes!
- Friendly vendors: The vendors at the Central Market are known for their warm hospitality and friendly nature. Feel free to strike up a conversation, ask questions, or seek recommendations.
- Local delicacies: Don’t miss the chance to sample some of Mauritius’ tasty treats available at the market. From freshly made samosas to tropical fruits, you’ll have the opportunity to indulge in authentic flavors.
- Cultural insights: The Central Market provides a unique window into the cultural heritage of Mauritius. Take your time to appreciate the traditional craftsmanship, learn about local customs, and discover the stories behind the products on offer.
|Weekdays: 6 am – 6 pm
|Port Louis, Mauritius
|Saturdays: 6 am – 12 pm
|Closed on Sundays
Make sure to allocate enough time for your visit to the Central Market, as browsing through the myriad of stalls and engaging with the vendors can be a delightful and immersive experience. Happy shopping!
20. Enjoy Stunning Sunsets at Le Morne Brabant
Nestled on the southwestern tip of Mauritius, Le Morne Brabant offers an exquisite setting to witness breathtaking sunsets. This UNESCO World Heritage site is not only known for its natural beauty but also holds historical significance as a refuge for escaped slaves in the 18th and early 19th centuries.
Here are a few reasons why watching sunsets at Le Morne Brabant should be on your must-do list in Mauritius:
- Spectacular Views: As the sun dips below the horizon, the sky transforms into a mesmerizing display of vibrant hues. The panoramic views from the summit are truly captivating, providing an unparalleled experience.
- Tranquil Atmosphere: Le Morne Brabant offers a peaceful and serene environment, making it an ideal spot to unwind and connect with nature. The sounds of the waves gently crashing against the shore create a soothing ambiance.
- Photo Opportunities: The stunning sunsets provide an amazing backdrop for photography enthusiasts. Capture the magical colors reflecting on the water and create lasting memories of your time in Mauritius.
- Historical Significance: With its rich history, Le Morne Brabant adds depth to your sunset experience. Take a moment to reflect on the past as you appreciate the beauty of the present.
- Opportunities for Hiking: If you’re up for a bit of adventure, you can embark on a hike up the majestic Le Morne Brabant. The trail offers not only a physical challenge but also rewards you with breathtaking views at the summit.
So, make sure to carve out some time during your visit to Mauritius to witness the awe-inspiring sunsets at Le Morne Brabant. Prepare your camera, find a cozy spot, and immerse yourself in the sheer beauty of nature’s evening spectacle.
|Southwest tip of Mauritius
|Hiking trail available
|Evening, around sunset
|UNESCO World Heritage site
|Perfect for capturing stunning sunset shots
|Serene and tranquil
Conclusion: Your Unforgettable Journey Awaits in Mauritius!
Mauritius, with its stunning natural beauty, vibrant culture, and diverse attractions, offers an unforgettable experience for every traveler. Whether you are seeking adventure, relaxation, or exploration, this enchanting island has something to offer you. As we reach the end of our article, let’s summarize the 20 best things to do in Mauritius and inspire you to plan your dream vacation:
- Discover the Pristine Beaches: Mauritius is renowned for its picturesque beaches with crystal-clear waters and white sand. Spend your days sunbathing, swimming, or indulging in water sports like snorkeling and diving.
- Immerse Yourself in Nature: Explore the lush national parks, botanical gardens, and nature reserves that showcase the island’s rich biodiversity. Don’t forget to visit the Black River Gorges National Park and the Pamplemousses Botanical Garden.
- Embark on an Island Hopping Adventure: With the surrounding islands like Rodrigues and Ile aux Cerfs, you can hop on a boat and explore their unique landscapes, wildlife, and cultural gems.
- Dive into Underwater Wonders: Mauritius is a paradise for scuba diving and snorkeling enthusiasts. The vibrant coral reefs, shipwrecks, and incredible marine life will leave you in awe.
- Indulge in Water Sports: From kayaking and paddleboarding to kiteboarding and deep-sea fishing, Mauritius offers a wide range of thrilling water activities for the adventurous souls.
- Experience the Charm of Port Louis: Visit the capital city to soak up its bustling atmosphere, vibrant markets, historical sites like Fort Adelaide, and the iconic waterfront area of Caudan.
- Unwind with Spa and Wellness: Pamper yourself with rejuvenating spa treatments and wellness therapies offered by the island’s luxurious resorts and wellness centers.
- Savor the Local Cuisine: Mauritius is a melting pot of cultures, and its gastronomy reflects this diversity. Indulge in mouthwatering dishes like dholl puri, seafood, curry, and exotic tropical fruits.
- Explore Cultural Heritage: Immerse yourself in the island’s rich cultural heritage by visiting historical sites like Aapravasi Ghat, Le Morne Cultural Landscape, and the fascinating temples and mosques.
- Go on a Safari Adventure: Discover the natural beauty of Mauritius by embarking on an exciting safari tour, where you might spot rare wildlife species like the Mauritian flying fox.
- Discover Chamarel’s Seven Colored Earth: Witness the unique geological phenomenon at Chamarel, where sand dunes in seven different colors create a breathtaking natural spectacle.
- Trek to Le Morne Brabant: Conquer the majestic Le Morne Brabant mountain, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and admire panoramic views of the island from its summit.
- Relish Catamaran Cruises: Sail along the azure coastline on a catamaran cruise, where you can enjoy stunning sunsets, swim with dolphins, and indulge in a sumptuous BBQ on board.
- Experience Thrilling Quad Biking: Embark on an adrenaline-fueled quad biking adventure through the island’s diverse landscapes, including sugar cane fields, forests, and rugged terrains.
- Take a Helicopter Tour: Marvel at Mauritius from the sky with a thrilling helicopter tour that showcases the island’s stunning landscapes, waterfalls, and secluded beaches.
- Visit Historic Tea Estates: Explore the tea plantations and estates where Mauritius produces its aromatic teas. Learn about the tea-making process and savor a cup of freshly brewed tea.
- Uncover the Beauty of Tamarin Falls: Trek through the breathtaking Tamarin Falls, a series of magnificent waterfalls nestled amidst lush greenery, and take a refreshing dip in the natural pools.
- Enjoy Thrilling Water Parks: Visit the adrenaline-pumping water parks like Casela World of Adventures and La Vanille Nature Park, where you can have fun with slides, zip-lining, and animal encounters.
- Engage in Local Traditions: Immerse yourself in the vibrant local culture by participating in traditional activities like sega dance, making traditional handicrafts, and attending cultural festivals.
- Relax in Luxury Resorts: Mauritius is home to world-class resorts that offer exceptional accommodations, private beaches, and indulgent amenities. Unwind and rejuvenate in sheer luxury.
So, what are you waiting for? Pack your bags, immerse yourself in the beauty of Mauritius, and create memories that will last a lifetime!
|Number of beaches: 20
|Islands for hopping: 2 (Rodrigues, Ile aux Cerfs)
|Coral reefs: Abundant
|Languages spoken: English (official), French, Creole
|National parks: 1 (Black River Gorges National Park)
|Botanical gardens: 1 (Pamplemousses Botanical Garden)
|Capital city: Port Louis
|UNESCO World Heritage sites: 2
Note: The statistics provided are approximate and subject to change.